Monday, April 23, 2018

Trail Forks Sync Ride Log to Wahoo Elemnt on iPhone (without a computer)

Last time I posted about how to sync MTB Project Featured Ride with my Wahoo Elemnt without a computer, See Post for more details. I also use Trailforks to find good rides as well, and I want to get those pushed to my Elemnt as too so that I can leave my phone in my pocket and just ride!

Trail Forks is a whole different beast. It's a bit more complicated than the MTB Project sync, but I figured it out and wanted to share.

Steps:
  1. Open the TrailForks app, and make sure you're logged in.
  2. Find the Ride you want to load. I have mine saved to "my routes" wishlist.
  3. Tap the Ride to Show on Map.

  4. Drag up on the title at the bottom of the screen to go to the RideLog Details.
  5. You should have a "Map", "Directions" and "Save To" options shown under the title and elevation, tap the "Save to" button.

  6. Tap the "Download" button on the next screen.


    Note: I tried using "Copy to Elemnt" icon here... but it didn't seem to do anything, but we can keep going and get this to work. It might work for you, give it a shot, if not, keep going...
  7. Tap "Save to File" gray icon in the bottom bar of options.

  8. Save the file to iCloud Drive (Preferred) or On My Phone (it works, but organizes them weird). Note: Don't save them to Dropbox, it doesn't work like the others.

  9. Open the "Files" app on your iPhone and find the file you just downloaded. I just saved mine on the root of my iCloud drive. Now you can see the Trailforks route in Files.

  10. Tap it to show the content. It looks like an XML file, it's confusing if you're not used to this, but just bear with me.


  11. Click the share button in the top Right Corner (looks like a box with an arrow coming out the top). Then Tap "Copy to Elemnt".

  12.  The Elemnt App will load and prompt you to rename.

  13. Now you can see the route in the Elemnt App.



  14. Now just open up your Elemnt Bike Computer, go to the map page, select Routes, and then Sync. This will pull in the new route you just loaded in your Elemnt App. 
That's it, now you can go ride with your Wahoo Elemnt with the route Loaded.


Note: If you want to delete the route in the future, you'll have to do it from the routes screen in the app. Just slide left to show the delete button, this only works with routes synced from the Wahoo.



9 comments:

  1. Recently tried this process again, but it appears that the save to files option in trailforks is no longer working. Which makes these instructions not work out. Looking for a solution or workaround.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like they fixed it. I was able to download files again.

      Delete
  2. You've just saved me a world of faff - thank you! It's crazy that you have to download via the files app.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help, it's definitely not intuitive, which is why I wrote the instructions to share!

      Delete
  3. Thanks a lot for the guide! Was a bit worried to carry my laptop to a bike trip to spain but with this i can leave it at home and save some weight/space. Cheers mate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Works great. Never would have done this on my own. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You! Been trying to figure this out forever. Works Great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stumbled across this and gave it a try and used the save to ELEMNT button. It works now! Have also sent a question to Wahoo regarding if they are going to integrate TrailForks as I am considering buying a ROAM (and returning the Garmin 530 I just got :-( )

    ReplyDelete